PUBLIC POLICY – WHAT IS IT?
Public Policy affects each of us – you, your family, your community and your business. Public Policy is inherently dynamic, complex, value laden and value driven. It is made up of laws and regulations created and enacted by governing entities that shape, organize and dictate the systems, environment and the manner in which individuals and organizations exist, interact and function.
Many will say “I hate all this politics.” However, as a business owner, it is important that you are aware of what laws/regulations are being enacted in California – they affect your ability to run your business as you wish!! The following are some issues that the California Legislature will consider in the coming months.
- Workers Compensation—will an increase in the premium affect your business?
- Procurement—Are you interested in doing business with government/corporations?
- Healthcare—Is it affordable? Will you cover your employees? Who pays?
- Independent Contractor—Do you hire Independent Contractors? Are they legal?
- Taxes—Will they increase this year – State/Local/Property?
- Identity Theft—It is increasing – How do we combat this problem?
- Lawsuits—Will frivolous lawsuits increase? Does your business comply with ADA?
- Gas Emissions/Fuel Standards—What will be the standard? When will it apply?
These are just a few of the issues that our legislative representatives are considering. Should we just accept whatever happens or should women business owners learn about the issues and determine the impact on their family, community and their business?
BECOME INVOLVED IN THE PUBLIC POLICY COMMITTEE AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR YOURSELF, YOUR FAMILY, YOUR BUSINESS AND YOUR COLLEAGUES!!!